Monday, November 29, 2010

Why Hello There!



Well, I finally started a blog. Yay for me! I think it's mostly because I'm always buying new journals and such, but I never really get around to sitting down and writing in them.... So here I am. I'm not quite sure it's such a good sign though that I think I'll be more likely to journal just because I can do it on the computer.... oh how I love technology! I also wanted to start a blog because I'm always looking at my sisters-in-law's (you know who you are, Lauren and Merideth!) blogs because they are always so dang cute. My only blogging dream is that I can someday become as talented as them- and I guess keeping a history is a good idea too ;) But I will definitely need some help because I still have NO IDEA what I'm doing!

So I can I can update everyone on the exciting (ha!) life of Caroline Altom... I went to BYU-Idaho from January to July of this year and because of their weird track system I am currently "off-track" until January of 2011. So I came home for the month of August and then went and lived with Blake and Christine in Logan, UT for about a month and tried to find a job there so I could live in Logan for the fall. I had such a blast living with them! Blake and Christine are just so hilarious and so kind and so awesome! And Sam and little Ike are just too cute! I love those boys so much. But unfortunately I was having trouble finding a job there so I prayed about it and knew I had to move back to Reno, which I was sad about because I really loved being in Logan. But the day I got back to Reno I had a job interview at Learning Express Toys and I got the job! So I am currently living in Reno back at home and working about 24 hours a week. I love working at Learning Express Toys, it's always fast-paced, we have such fun stuff, so many adorable little kids come in, and I like the people I work with! So it's turned out to be a huge blessing.

So now the "fun" part... I have decided not to return to BYU-Idaho. I really did like it up there and I made some friends for life, but it's a little too small for me and they don't have any majors I'm super interested in. So after leaving, I decided to look around more at my options and really think about what I want to study. Luckily, when I got home I was hired to work at two wedding receptions. And this changed everything. I really had a blast working at both of them, and after the second one, someone told me "You are such a natural at this! Why aren't you doing this professionally?" And I thought, "Yeah, why am I not doing this professionally?! I love it, so I should do it!" So that's when I started searching around for majors that would help me along that path, and that's when I found the: Hospitality and Tourism Major at BYU-HAWAII! It's perfect because it's like a business degree with emphasis on events and hotels AND I can specialize in food/catering as well! It's like it was made for me. Obviously, I applied to BYU-Hawaii almost immediately in hopes of transferring there in January. But, (ARGH!) I am still waiting and waiting to hear from them. It seems like there has been some confusion and that I might not end up there in January, but all is well because I can always stay home and keep making money and maybe even take some classes at UNR or online... we'll see! This has been hard for me because I'm such a planner and have to always know what I'm doing.... good thing I'm going to study to become a professional planner ;) I guess this is just a hard way that Heavenly Father is trying to teach me patience and trust.

Anyways, that is the dramatic and exciting life I'm living right now! (Exciting right!?) Hopefully I can be more religious with blog posts than journal entries, and hopefully I can become more skilled at the art of blogging!


3 comments:

  1. such a great picture! and i was hoping you were going to announce that you were off to hawaii... dang it. i know how hard it is to wait for things. okay i love that you are blogging... and we will see u in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!! Welcome to the blogging world Carols!! I LOVE your blog background (cute flowers!) Also I'm so glad that we get to hear about more things that are going in your life right now! I am so excited for the road that lies ahead of you, with its many options, and know that it will be perfect for YOU and that you'll love which ever way the Lord takes you!
    Love you and miss you like crazy! Know you always have a place to hang in New York!! :) (hint hint, that means come out!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. go you!!! very cute miss caroline!
    ok girls i am next... i will get my blog set up just as soon as i get through the last weeks of the semester and just as soon as i get my flip video for christmas (hint hint... ;-))...... but i will need lessons too so maybe merideth can tutor us both after christmas... :-)
    yes i love technology. .. but not as much as you you see... but i still love technology... always and forever.... <3

    ReplyDelete